Thursday, December 27, 2012

When the fog sets in . . .

Fog really is an incredible thing.  I remember my dad explaining fog to me as a young child.  "Fog is just clouds that have sunk down to ground level," he said.  The explanation really was intriguing.  That's crazy!  Something that seemed so far out of reach--a cloud--could actually descend so low that we could drive through it, touch it,  and experience it up close.  We could be in the clouds.  It really was unreal.  It was exciting.

However, as an adult who is trying to get somewhere in a car, fog is a nuisance.  It makes it hard to see where you're going.  It makes it difficult to see the markers--road signs, landmarks, lane markings--which help keep us on track when we're trying to get to our destination.  It simply makes it way more difficult to see where you're going.  You sometimes can't see 10 feet in front of the car, let alone miles down the road.

At the same time, the fog makes you slow down.  It makes you pay way more attention to the here and now.  It makes you accept the fact that you can't see nearly as far down the road as you want to.  It makes you  pay attention to things that you take for granted when you can see clearly.  Seriously, who pays attention to the white line on the outside of the driving lane?  When it's clear out you don't need it.  You can see where the lane ends.  But try driving in the fog without those markings and you see why they were put there.  The fog makes you rely on what's right in front of you in order to get your bearings.  And you just hope that whoever painted that line can be trusted.  You hope they know where the road leads.

Fog can be a scary thing.  It makes me uneasy.  It makes me nervous.  But it also makes me focus.  I have somewhere I know I need to get to, and stopping just isn't an option.  So I slow down.  I look for new markers to help me stay on track.  But I must keep going in this new reality.  It's a journey I haven't chosen, but a journey I must take.  The road I must take is laid out before me.  The fog wasn't part of my plans.  But I must keep going.

On December 12, 2012 (12/12/12) I found my youngest son, Thomas, dead in his crib.  He was almost 2 years old.  The fog sets in.  This is my journey.

8 comments:

  1. Robbie,

    Dawn sent me the link to your blog, If its ok I would like to walk in this fog with you...
    it has been almost 2 years since we lost our 4 month old. God is faithful

    we should talk when you are ready,
    you can call me at 337-496-7194 or email me at jasonthebaldguy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason,

      Thanks for the offer. I'd love to chat sometime. Today I met with another father who had lost a child. It was very encouraging just to sit with someone who really does understand.

      Delete
    2. Sure thing man... God bless you. I am leaving a link to the memorial that I did for my son. Both that I am trying to self- promote but it has been helpful to some. http://youtu.be/tEqN2ukqXZs

      Delete
  2. Robbie,

    This has touched my soul. I feel for you and send you a huge warm hug and all the love in my heart that I can spare. This has hit me hard and I pray for the wisdom that you have shared. You and your entire family have been a true blessing in the lives of many and I thank you all for that. Peace be with you old friend! Now and forever in Christ....KV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin,

      It's great to hear from you and I'm honored that you would care enough to read this. Thanks for the prayers. Please keep 'em coming.

      Delete
  3. Robbie
    I have cried so much for the both of you, oh how my heart breaks for you....though I know the pain and sorrow of experiencing several miscarriages,I don't know the heart wrenching feeling of losing my born child. I want to say that with Gods love and your faith that He will heal and mend your heart a little each day, yes you will have days you fall to your knees and ask why...you just pick yourself up and God will lead you!
    In Christ love
    Chasity Rickel(Dain)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robby, I don't know you very well, but your family has always been one that I've admired, and I just want you to know that my wife and I are lifting you up, believing for supernatural strength and comfort. He is faithful.
    Ben Wray

    ReplyDelete